We finally found rental for caravan in Shanghai
Now for the first time, we rented a caravan and here collected some basic information about what we have discovered and found out. Information is from third-party websites and suppliers. These are not necessarily lawful but might get you an idea of the possibility by travel with a caravan.
If your car is not equipped with towing hitch.
When making the decision for installation, select a good brand. In our case, we needed to reinforce the hitch in Inner Mongolia as it was bent due to poor quality and the weight balance of the caravan. Check the review of the Chinese MIY caravan from our Inner Mongolia trip
If your car is not equipped with towing hitch.
Camping trailer/caravan then?
Questions and Answers about caravan on the road in China.
Found some useful information on the internet but it is in Chinese. Ten questions and ten answers about trailers on the road. Please bear with me as these are direct translations from the website.
- Does a camping trailer need a registration plate?
- Yes, it needs it, since 2008, it has been clarified that all the camping trailer needs the vehicle registration, a number plate, and vehicle registration certificate.
- Can a camping trailer go on the road?
- Yes, there was an official document published in 2015 that clearly defined the difference between a camping trailer and a normal trailer, and emphasized that the camping trailer can go into the city road according to local regulation and can go on highway as well.
- Is C1 driving license level enough for pulling a trailer?
- Yes, since 2016 it has confirmed that the C1 license can pull the center axis camping trailer which under 2.5 ton in weight, or the normal trailer which is under 700kg. The trailer is not allowed to carry people.
- Do the different lengths of camping trailers require different grades of driving licenses?
- According to the above questions, there are no such clear requirements, but as a common understanding, the camping trailer within 8meters in length, 3.5 in height,2.5 meters in width, and 4.5 tons in weight are acceptable.
- In some countries when the total length or mass exceeds the limit, you need an additional grade of license
- What kind of camping trailers can apply for the registration plate?
- The center axis camping trailer with a hook, the total length of 8000mm, width with 2500mm, and height less than 4000mm can apply for the registration plate.
- The trailer under 700kg needs to apply for the registration plate?
- The trailer here can be a mini camping trailer or a normal trailer to carry the goods.
- What is the process of registration of a camping trailer?
- Prepare the sales receipt, notice the title must be correct, otherwise it is overly complicated to make a change.
- Go to check the camping trailer.
- Register choose the plate number, with the payment slip to receive all the registration licenses.
- Check the camping trailer in the vehicle management bureau to receive the number plate. all the trailer plates are yellow in color.
- What kind of car can pull a camping trailer?
- If your car can bear the camping trailer’s weight.
- What is the highway toll fee standard for a camping trailer?
- According to regulation, the car with a camping trailer should be charged as one grade higher than the main car. But since many main cars have installed ETC, the system can not recognize the camping trailer, so in many cases, the ETC system deducts the charge according to the main car.
- Does the camping trailer need compulsory traffic insurance?
- Yes, otherwise the car which drags the camping trailer needs to take responsibility when an accident happens.
- This is unclear for me as there is other documents stating the cars third party insurance will cover. Consult with your insurance company.
Information for the driver with caravan in China
If taken a new driving license in China please notice that the law says you cannot have a trailer within the first 12 month period of the probation license, which is the first 6-year license you get (subsequent licenses are 10 years if you never exceed 12 points in a calendar year). If caught with a trailer, it’s an automatic 12 points deducted on your license.
When renting the caravan there might be limited knowledge of the personnel working for the companies. Also finding a company that is renting them was a challenge.
For example, asking questions about tow ball weights and recommended tire pressures might be difficult to get the correct answer. So be prepared and if you have not done caravaning before please study it.
Insurance of the caravan in China.
Here is some information I got from the rental company. Basically, it is stating that caravan is covered by car’s third party insurance.
I’m always a little bit suspicious about these and after my wife called the insurance company the answer was they don’t know if it is covering and let’s see when something happens.
Anyway if it is not clearly stated in the insurance policy that it is not covering then it should be good to go.
Sorry about the bad translation as this was done by using a WeChat translator. In my opinion, we are taking a risk here but there is nothing else we could do.
Notice, make it clear what it is covering and how
As long the car is connected to the caravan the insurance should be valid.
If disconnected and left for example at a camping site I’m unsure if the insurance is valid anymore as it is the cars insurance that is covering the caravan.
A valid driving license of class C1 is needed and the maximum total length of 14m and the maximum weight of the caravan is 2500kg. If someone has information confirming this, please let me know.
ETC on the road
Car with caravan always is using one grade higher pay-grade as what would be normal. Our car rate is A1 and if having a caravan connected they should give you an A2 token. As per our experiences, many toll stations don’t know the law and were confused about how to treat the caravan. To avoid that here is a good document. WeChat translation of the needed parts is like this.
“The legal basis for the “trailer” on the road legally”5.2: When a single vehicle tows another trailer, the vehicle type of the combination vehicle shall be higher than the main vehicle type. Car model classification standards for one category are implemented.
ETC can only be obtained by a person with a Chinese ID and the car must be registered to a person with a Chinese ID. As my car is registered under me this was not possible in our case. Meaning that in many cases we needed to explain at the toll gate what class our car should obtain for the toll fee.
Caravan limits by size and weight
This is the GB1589-2016
Attached document of the Chinese law of the usage of a trailer on the road. Document translated by Bing.
Limits of dimensions. axle load and masses for motor vehicles,trailers and combination vehicles
This is the important part where the maximum dimensions are stated.
22.214.171.124 Table 2 The maximum limits of the outline dimensions of other automobiles, trailers, and automobile trains: Mid-mounted The length limit of the axle and tow bar trailer is 12000mm, the width limit is 2550mm, and the height limit is 4000mm. The length of the carriage is limited to 8000mm (except for the central axle vehicle transport trailer). The length limit of a passenger car train is 14,500mm, the width limit is 2550mm, and the height limit is 4000mm.
Regulations for the Implementation of the Road Traffic Safety Law of the People’s Republic of China
Translated with Google