This is what we are planning in July 2021 with trip to Hulumbuir Inner Mongolia by motor-home.
We are going to drive by route Shanghai – Hulumbuir – Xi’an – Shanghai and the planned length of the road trip about 4 weeks. Our family consists of two adults and two children ages 12 and 14 + guard dog of the size of a big cat. We have some persons from our friend circle that have been shown interest to join but there is normally the limiting factor with long leaves from work.
Therefore there is an additional plan for shorter holidays (10 days) by flight or taking the train to Hulumbuir and we all will meet there. We will start our journey earlier by driving from Shanghai and agree on a common date to meet and gather in Hulunbuir.
Still need to verify and check some issues
- Availability of RV in Hulunbuir. Maxus has a rental place in Hulumbuir and the availability needs to be confirmed. Also, Maxus has an app by name of 房车生活网 and a website where you can place the rental. For some reason, the rentals are not yet available for July and we are following this. Why we want to use Maxus is only because it is a big/reliable company with many rental locations. Some minor issues with other rentals so, therefore, we prefer them.
- Travel directly to Hulunbuir. There are several options but what is the best is still pending. Once per day, there is a direct flight from Shanghai, taking the train from Shanghai to Hulumbuir, mixing train and flights.
- All the rentals and flights/trains need to handled by each individual personally. We can try to reduce the price by negotiating with Maxus if we are more families. We are not a travel agency but would like more persons to enjoy traveling in China by motor home and would be nicer together. On our website CrissCrossChina there is more information regarding travel in China by RV. For questions, you can use our Facebook or email address [email protected]
We will continue to update this blog as we got more information.
This will be our planned route. But anything can be changed and we plan to take it easy and visit some camping grounds and sightseeing places. It will be a long trip and I think we need all the planned 4 weeks to make it.
We are now a total of 4 families traveling to Hulumbuir. The meeting date would be on 10th July and our family is the only ones driving up there. We will start the journey on 2nd or 3rd July from Shanghai and others will take flight and have rented the RV from the Maxus center there.
Some updates from our side. We have now changed our plan regarding the rental of an RV and rented a caravan instead. It was difficult to find an RV in our price range and also the layouts were not to our liking. Found small rental company with caravans and the layout was suitable for us.
- Ski box for more storage space, 700L
- Mirror extensions
- Installing the towing hook for the car.
- Fire extinguisher, 2kg
- Service of the car. Oil/filter change, fuel filter change, check of brake pads, air-filter change, and verifying underneath of the car that all ok (shockers, springs).
- Additional pockets and a soft table to be used behind the seats for kids.
- Mosquito net tent, will be used in Inner Mongolia, don’t know if needed but nice to have dinner outside without the mosquitos
- Update of our First Aid kit. Bandages, medicines for different uses.
Rental of RV in Hulumbuir
Here is some price information from Maxus including a driver for 7-days. We received this from their sales staff by WeChat therefore it is optimized to be used by WeChat. You can scan the QR code or by this link. Unfortunately, the whole page is in Chinese but you could use Google translate.
Our plan for the trip is, we will drive up north by RV from Shanghai and meet in Hulumbuir. From there depending on how long you would be there, we travel together and enjoy Inner Mongolia.