This is what we are planning in July 2021 with a trip to Hulumbuir Inner Mongolia by motor home.
We will drive by route Shanghai – Hulunbuir – Xi’an – Shanghai, and the planned length of the road trip is about 4 weeks. Our family consists of two adults and two children, ages 12 and 14 + a guard dog the size of a big cat. We have some people from our friend circle who have shown interest in joining, but there is normally the limiting factor with long leaves from work.
Therefore there is an additional plan for shorter holidays (10 days) by flight or taking the train to Hulunbuir, and we all will meet there. We will start our journey earlier by driving from Shanghai and agreeing to a date to meet and gather in Hulunbuir. Before starting, we need a Preparations for the long summer trip
We still need to verify and check some issues
- Availability of RV in Hulunbuir. Maxus has a rental place in Hulunbuir, and the availability needs to be confirmed. Also, Maxus has an app by the name of RV2GO where you can search for and rent an RV. For some reason, the rentals are not yet available for July, and we are following this. We want to use Maxus only because it is a big/reliable company with many rental locations, some minor issues with other rentals so, therefore, we prefer them.
- Travel directly to Hulunbuir. There are several options, but what is the best is still pending. Once per day, there is a direct flight from Shanghai, taking the train from Shanghai to Hulunbuir, mixing trains and flights.
- All the rentals and flights/trains need to be handled by each individual personally. We can try to reduce the price by negotiating with Maxus if we are more families. We are not a travel agency but would like more people to enjoy traveling in China by motor home and be nicer together. On our website CrissCrossChina there is more information regarding travel in China by RV.
We will continue to update this blog as we get more information.
This will be our planned route. But anything can be changed, and we plan to take it easy and visit some camping grounds and sightseeing places. It will be a long trip, and I think we need all the planned 4 weeks to make it.
Inner Mongolia Wikipedia
Correction to the map after the trip. We skipped Xi’an after the news of COVID-19 restrictions started showing up here and there and decided to drive in the south instead. The total distance we covered during the road trip was 7200km.
We are now a total of 4 families traveling to Hulunbuir. The meeting date would be on 10th July; our family is the only one driving up there. We will start the journey on the 2nd or 3rd of July from Shanghai, and others will take flight and have rented the RV from the Maxus center there.
Here are some updates from our side. We have now changed our plan regarding an RV rental and rented a caravan instead. Finding an RV in our price range was difficult, and the layouts were not to our liking. Found a small rental company with caravans, and the layout was suitable for us.
- Ski box for more storage space, 700L
- Mirror extensions
- Installing the towing hook for the car.
- Fire extinguisher, 2kg
- Service of the car. Oil/filter change, fuel filter change, check of brake pads, air-filter change, and verifying underneath of the car that all OK (shockers, springs).
- Additional pockets and a soft table are used behind the kids’ seats.
- A mosquito net tent will be used in Inner Mongolia, I don’t know if needed but nice to have dinner outside without the mosquitos
- Update of our First Aid kit. Bandages, medicines for different uses.
Rental of RV in Hulunbuir
Here is some price information from Maxus, including a driver for 7-days. We received this from their sales staff via WeChat. You can scan the QR code or by this link. Unfortunately, the whole page is Chinese, but you could use Google translate.
In our Preparations for the long summer trip, we will drive up north by RV from Shanghai and meet in Hulunbuir. Depending on how long you would be there, we travel together and enjoy Inner Mongolia.